Teaches the duties and responsibilities of lifeguards to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies and procedures to carry them out in a professional manner. Certifies participant as an American Red Cross Lifeguard, includes certifications in CPR for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, Automated External Defibrillation, and Blood-borne Pathogens Training.
- Must swim 300 yards continuously using these strokes in the following order: 100 yards/front crawl; 100 yards/breaststroke; and 100 yards/either front crawl or breaststroke or a combination. All 300 yards must use rhythmic breathing with your face in the water and a stabilizing, propellant kick.
- Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a minimum depth of seven feet, retrieve a 10 lb. object, return to surface, and swim back to starting point with the object within one minute and 40 seconds. When returning to the starting point, you must hold the 10 lb. object with both hands and keep you face above water.
- Monday-Thursday, May 28-31
- Marilyn Fox Building/Chesterfield
- Monday-Thursday, June 10-13
- Staenberg Family Complex/Creve Coeur
Participants must attend all classes in a session to achieve certification.
$225 members/$250 public
No refunds on cancellations made less than seven (7) days prior to the start of class.
Participants who do not pass the prerequisite will receive a refund minus a $25 fee.