Our Commitment to Our Community and to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The J believes that everyone deserves to feel safe, supported, respected, empowered and equal in our spaces and programs. We celebrate all members, participants, staff and volunteers in the spirit of the Jewish tradition that all humans are created b’tzelem Elohim, ‘in G-d’s image.’ With this mindset, we invite the entire community to join us at the J.
The St. Louis Jewish Community Center enriches lives, builds community, promotes inclusivity and creates meaningful Jewish experiences.
What We Stand For
Everyone is welcome at the J regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, age, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, physical ability, veteran status, political affiliation, marital status, or familial status.
We honor our commitment to our members, participants, staff and volunteers by asking everyone who enters our facilities or participates in our programming to commit to our values for a welcoming community:
- Treat people with respect & compassion. We expect everyone in our community to treat each other with care, honesty and respect.
- Be welcoming & inclusive. Be friendly and hospitable to members, staff, volunteers and guests.
- Assume the best. Don’t jump to conclusions about people’s actions and motives.
- Speak kindly. Choose your words carefully, both in person and in writing, and don’t use words that are hurtful or painful to others.
- Have integrity. Do the right thing – especially when no one is looking.
- Take responsibility. Expect to be held accountable for your actions. Additionally, if something needs to be done, help work to accomplish it even if you can’t fix it or finish it on your own.
- Work together. Do your part and help others to do theirs.
- Take action and lead. The time to help is now. Things will not change unless we change them.
- Laugh and enjoy. A positive energy creates a better experience for everyone.
- Support each other. Support each other during both good and challenging times.
As part of what we stand for, the J denounces racism, prejudice, bigotry, harassment and hate in all forms. No person at the J will be harassed, excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any program or activity for which they are otherwise eligible.
If you experience or witness a situation at the J that makes you or someone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, we want to hear about it. Please contact any of our executive team so that we can help.
We will not tolerate behavior that makes our community feel unsafe or disrespected. Membership or program registration can and will be terminated in such instances.
Who We Are
Historically an organization for a population of people who needed a secure place to gather and be enthusiastically themselves, the J was the community place for the Jewish people of St. Louis. Now, the J serves as a multigenerational gathering place and offers a variety of programming for the entire St. Louis community, regardless of background. You don’t have to be Jewish to be or feel part of the J, but because of the J’s Jewish background, we are committed to Jewish values, such as treating everyone in our community with respect.
We ask our community to be patient with our progress but to also hold us to the standards and guidelines we have set, so that we can continue to grow and become a safer and more comfortable place for our members, participants, staff and volunteers.