Every staff member at the J has the opportunity to make a difference in someone’s life.
Thank you for your interest in joining the J team! The J is currently accepting applications for the positions listed below. If you wish to be considered for one of our openings, please specify the position for which you are applying and submit your resume, cover letter and application.
The J is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The J will recruit, hire, train, and promote people in all job classifications without regard to race, color, marital status, religion (unless religion is a bona fide occupational qualification), national origin, age, disability or history of disability (except where physical or mental abilities are a bona fide occupational requirement and the individual is not able to perform the essential functions of the position even with reasonable accommodations), or sex (unless gender is a bona fide occupational qualification), status as a veteran or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state and local law.
The J participates in the Department of Homeland Security’s e-Verify Program (Español).
More information about Right to Work (Español).
Current Open Positions
Hiring Bonus! Newly hired lifeguards are eligible to receive a $250 sign-on bonus after working your first 100 hours.
The Jewish Community Center has open positions for Lifeguards and Swim Instructors. These part-time positions are available at our Chesterfield and Creve Coeur locations. Our Aquatics program takes place in six indoor and outdoor pools and includes lap swimming, water walking, aqua exercise classes, swim team, lessons, water slides, and children’s water play features.
Positions are available immediately for all shifts (days, evenings and weekends), and we are now hiring for summer at both of our locations.
Base lifeguard rate is $11 per hour. Employees at the J receive a complimentary staff membership.
Lifeguard is responsible for ensuring the safety of facility patrons by preventing and responding to emergencies.
- Provide exemplary customer service to members and provide for their safety and well being of our members by professionally guarding the pool according to J and American Red Cross standards.
- Recognize and respond quickly and effectively in emergencies complying with all safety and emergency procedures.
- Enforce all aquatic facility policies, rules and regulations.
- Teach swim lessons (group/individual) and aquatics exercise classes (with appropriate certifications).
- Inspect the facility on a daily schedule and report any unsafe conditions or equipment to the supervisor.
- Assist in maintaining a neat, organized and clean pool deck and aquatics office
- Answer the telephone and respond to customer questions in a courteous manner taking messages when appropriate.
- Learn, adhere to, and enforce all JCC policies and procedures.
- Maintain a neat and clean appearance while adhering to applicable dress codes.
- Be punctual and maintain good attendance.
- Complete records and reports within required timeframes including but not limited to timesheets, accident reports, class rosters, daily inspection reports, etc.
- Participate in regular in-service training sessions and attend staff meetings.
- Maintain swimming skills, strength and endurance.
- Foster and maintain relationships with members while creating a comfortable, positive and welcoming environment.
- Learn and become familiar with programming and equipment offered at the JCC to be better able to address customer needs.
- Assist in promoting aquatics and other agency programs and services
- Develop further knowledge in aquatics, including but not limited to training provided by the JCC.
- Other duties as requested by supervisor.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Must have current certification in either American Red Cross Lifeguarding and First Aid or American Red Cross Waterpark Lifeguarding and First Aid.
- American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer is required.
- Instructor certifications are desirable.
- Prior experience as a lifeguard with demonstrated knowledge of and application of lifeguard surveillance and rescue techniques is required.
- Demonstrated leadership skills along with the ability to provide exemplary customer service.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communications skills and the ability to read and follow written communications.
- Must be able to make sound decisions.
- Position requires flexibility in schedule to open and or close the pools and to work across multiple locations.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter, resume and completed J application to email@example.com. Please indicate the position you are applying for and desired location in the subject line of your email. The J’s employment application is available for printing on the employment section of our website. Please note this is not an online form.
The J is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in the Department of Homeland Security’s E-Verify program.
Download a PDF of this job posting.
The Jewish Community Center has open part-time positions for Personal Trainers. Positions are located at both our Creve Coeur and Chesterfield facilities. We are looking for nationally certified trainers who are available to work a flexible schedule to meet our clients’ needs. Our facilities offer private personal training studios with cutting-edge equipment, as well as a comprehensive fitness and sports operation including indoor and outdoor spaces for training, aquatics programming, recreational sports leagues, and an extensive group exercise program which include Pilates reformer studios.
- Develop and administer safe and effective goal oriented fitness programs, which have been approved by the J and/or the approved national fitness certification agencies.
- Promote personal training, fitness programs, group exercise, aquatics or other programs pertinent to our member’s needs. Present the benefits of personal training to all members and demonstrate the value of the program. Be aware of and able to offer current Fitness specials/promotions and be aware of programs offered across the J.
- Perform fitness evaluations and personal training appointments as scheduled or assigned by supervisor. Confirm appointments with customers; be prompt and prepared.
- Call clients and potential clients to schedule and or confirm appointments. Actively seek to build client book to meet your revenue goals. Establish personal networks and effective interpersonal relationships.
- Follow all agency record keeping procedures: collecting and processing payments for sessions rendered, timesheets, session tracking sheets, patron information sheets (assessment, release, history), WellStart information, master appointment book, etc.
- Provide exercise correction to ineffective or unsafe techniques when observed or asked for assistance.
- Generate member “Success Stories” to share and market the results we help our clients to achieve.
- When not training a client, trainers are alert and on the floor at all times. Answer questions, answer phones, take messages, assist with emergencies and give any and all information our members may need.
- Be a continuous learner. Seek out and attend continuing education opportunities offered by the J and the approved national certification agencies.
- Follow and enforce all club rules and company policies and procedures.
- Comply with safety, courtesy, and dress code policies.
- Re-rack all weights and assist in maintaining a neat, organized and clean workout area in the Fitness Center.
- Adjust and operate all fitness equipment, audio-visual equipment and perform other fitness operations that contribute to our customers’ experience.
- Attend all meetings and assist in Fitness Center promotion where applicable.
- All other duties as requested by supervisor.
Note: Special assignments may be determined based upon mutual interests: conducting monthly seminars for our members, assist in development of new programming with niche interest, assist in community outreach projects, work in collaboration as a fitness expert for inter-departmental events and joint programs, etc.
- High School diploma or GED is required.
- Must hold a current, nationally recognized Personal Training certification (NASM, NSCA, ACE, etc.) and/or a degree in a related field (i.e. Sports Medicine, Exercise Physiology, and Biomechanics).
- Demonstrated knowledge of a variety of personal training techniques, programs, and principles of physical fitness and exercise technique.
- Six months prior experience in a related field is preferred.
- Trainers must have active listening skills.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated sales experience and knowledge of the principles of salesmanship.
- Must be able to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals.
- Trainers should have flexibility of schedule to meet our patrons’ needs: day, evening, and weekend hours. While no one trainer must work all schedules, our most successful trainers are able to offer hours in all time slots.
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the position: bending, lifting weights of at least 50 pounds, squatting, spotting, reaching, standing, walking, and able to demonstrate exercises/techniques to patrons.
All Trainers are required to hold current CPR/AED/First Aid for the Professional Rescuer certifications. If there is no expiration date on the certification, it will be considered expired one year from the date of issuance.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter and completed J application to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Download a PDF of this job posting here.
The Jewish Community Center has openings for certified Pilates Reformer Instructors. These part-time positions are available at our Creve Coeur and Chesterfield locations to teach private and small group sessions. Both facilities feature dedicated Mind/Body studios for Yoga and Pilates, Stott reformers, and top-of-the-line instructional equipment (cardio-tramp rebounders, stability chair, barrel, tower trainers, elastic bands, plastic coated hand weights, Pilates/Yoga mats, rings, etc.).
Candidates must have the flexibility of schedule to meet our patrons’ needs, particularly evenings and weekends.
- Teach a fun, informative and safe class for your participants adhering to standards set by the J as well as those set by the national certifying organizations which we adhere to.
- Provide outstanding customer service to members.
- Provide for member safety and well-being.
- Develop further knowledge in health and fitness, including, but not limited to, the training provided by the J.
- Learn, follow and utilize policies, procedures, programs and equipment offered through the J.
- Utilize our scheduling software system to manage group and private sessions.
- Maintain time sheets in a neat orderly fashion according to company protocol.
- Attend mandatory meetings and in-house training.
- Assist in maintaining a neat, organized and clean group exercise room.
- All other duties as assigned by manager.
- You must hold a nationally recognized Pilates certification to instruct classes at the J
- You must be currently certified in CPR/AED/First Aid for the Professional Rescuer (training provided if necessary)
- Prior instructional experience preferred.
- Must have flexibility of schedule to meet customer needs (days, evenings, and weekends).
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and completed J application in response to this posting.
Download a PDF of this job posting here.