Expect Great Performances and Events at the J
The J has a rich tradition of bringing both Jewish cultural opportunities to its members and fine art productions and events to the St. Louis community. In maintaining that long standing tradition, the focus of the J’s Cultural Arts Department has been on theatre, film and literature. Events, festivals, performances and programs are open to all members of our community.
- The St. Louis Jewish Book Festival invites prominent authors to showcase their latest works and provides opportunities for the readers get up close and personal at panels, discussions and presentations.
- The New Jewish Theatre has won numerous Kevin Kline Awards (recognizing outstanding achievement in Professional Theatre in the Greater St. Louis area) since the inception of the Awards program years ago – capturing many high honor awards such as Outstanding Actress, Outstanding Supporting Actor and Outstanding Director of a Play. This program produces a full season of five shows annually.
- The St. Louis Jewish Film Festival is a highly-attended event that brings poignant films and filmmakers, related to Jewish values, culture and/or history, to St. Louis.
- The Jewish Arts & Soul Project features Jewish-themed art, spiritual, health and wellness workshops for adults in their 20s through 50s.
- The J’s Youth Theatre program introduces the fun and art of performing in front of a live audience to young, aspiring actors and actresses while teaching St. Louis children about drama, costuming and theatrics.
- Theatre Unlimited, a program designed for adults with disabilities, has brought the excitement of theatrical performing to its entertainers and audience. Participants act, sing, dance and shine on center stage – all in a barrier-free setting.
- Two Used Book Sales take place at the J each year, offering more than 30,000 deeply-discounted books to the community.
For more information about Cultural Arts Programs at the J, contact Director of Jewish Engagement, Rabbi Brad Horwitz (firstname.lastname@example.org), 314-442-3271.