Staying the Course in Week 2
Congratulations on finishing Week One of the 100 Day Fitness Challenge – only 90 days left to go! Just a reminder that you’re working toward the chance to win some great prizes – like the $1,000 travel voucher. But most importantly, you’re creating new behaviors and habits that reward you long after the Challenge is over.
Feeling overwhelmed or need some encouragement? Our staff is here to help! Contact our fitness staff with your questions:
Weekly Health and Fitness Tips from our Staff
1. Make food changes slowly. Don’t try to change everything at once! Instead of making drastic changes all at once, make a few small adjustments every week or month to help you get where you want to be. Try a new food or modify the proportions you eat, and let your body acclimate between changes.
2. Eight (8-ounce) cups of water a day. The amount of water each person needs can vary, but eight cups a day is a good rule of thumb (possibly more depending on your activity level). With all the MYZONE workouts you’ll be completing, be sure to stay hydrated!
3. Start your day off with positive thoughts. What are you looking forward to? What fun or exciting things may happen today? We’re not telling you to forget any negative or worrisome things you are dealing with in your life, just remind yourself of the things that can and do give you a sense of calm or put a smile on your face. For those interested, we also offer meditation classes at the Staenberg Family Complex as part of our group exercise schedule! Join us on Fridays at 7am.
4. Exchange the elevator for the stairs. There’s a reason we have stair climbers at the J – getting those steps in is great exercise. Adding more flights of stairs into your routine can increase your conditioning as well!
5. Meal prep & cook ahead. Resorting to fast food or vending machine snacks is often the result of not having a better option easily available. Making a plan for the week can help you schedule in time to prepare your food while juggling all of your weekly responsibilities. Try to set aside a few hours to make a few meals all at once, and you can start your week off with all your meals ready to go!
6. Fit in a short workout before your shower. Give yourself a few extra minutes before you shower to fit in some bodyweight exercises. Or, do them before you make your bed in the morning or after doing your dinner dishes. Pick a regular moment during your daily routine and commit to a few exercises. Squats, lunges, push-ups, sit-ups and planks are all easy to fit in – no matter the room of your house!
7. Go to bed at the same time every night. Or at least as much as possible. Everyone’s schedule changes, but training your body to begin the sleep process at a similar time each evening can help you fall asleep more quickly and prevent those nights of restless tossing and turning.
Super Bowl Challenge
We’re kicking off our first mini challenge! Participate in this Super Bowl challenge and win great prizes.
January 29 – February 4
To participate, stop by the Fitness Desks at either J location and let our staff know your pick for the Super Bowl Winner, then earn at least 520 MEPs during the challenge dates.
Make your pick! The Philadelphia Eagles or the New England Patriots
All participants who pick the correct winner and earn the qualifying number of MEPs will receive an additional J guest pass on their membership account and an entry into a drawing for a Massage Roller set.