Exercise + Rest = Your Total Workout
Getting the most out of your workout isn’t just about hitting the gym harder and longer. Rest and recovery are an important element of your fitness routine. Giving your body the chance to rest assists in preventing injuries, makes your next workout more efficient and helps you achieve your best results.
Top Six Ways to Recover
1. Yoga Classes – The combination of stretching and relaxing that occurs during a yoga class encourages blood flow to damaged or stressed muscles and tissues in your body helping you recover.
2. Assisted Stretching – Mobility and flexibility is a critical component of physical performance and is equally important for your overall health. With assisted stretching, our trainers employ a variety of partner-assisted stretching and foam rolling techniques to maximize your results and help you recover.
3. Foam Rolling – Foam rolling helps break up adhesions/scar tissue in your connective tissue helping to speed up the recovery process. Think of it as a massage you can give yourself after each workout!
4. Deep Breathing – When your body is stressed, like during a workout, your body’s response can cause your heart and breath rates to rise, your blood vessels to narrow and your stress hormones to increase. Deep breathing techniques can help calm your response and assist in recovery. Box Breathing combines deep breathing with simple counting. Inhale slowly for a count of four, hold your breath for a count of four, then release your breath slowly for a count of four. Wait four seconds then repeat the cycle for a minimum of two minutes.
5. Sleep – We firmly believe in getting your seven+ hours a night. Sleep is the best way to let your nervous system rest, help your tissue to repair and assist in regulating your hormone levels.
6. Anti-inflammatory Foods – Working out can cause inflammation in your muscles and joints. Anti-inflammatory foods are one way to combat this post-workout. Anti-inflammatory foods include leafy greens, nuts, whole grains, fatty fish and fruits such as blueberries, strawberries and oranges.