Places everyone! The Youth Theatre Program is an all-inclusive educational theatre program for grades K-9. In addition to learning about theatre, we strive to help students build confidence, improve communication and increase skills. Theatre is an experience your child will never forget; it’s a unique group effort that requires everyone’s participation to bring a show to life. We invite you to take the stage with the J Youth Theatre Program!
Theatre Through the Years: The J’s Youth Theatre Fall 2020 Production
Students K-10th grade will be sent back in time from the beginning of Broadway to the present shows of our time. Young performers will sing, act and dance their way through history as they prepare for this one of a kind production.
This semester will feature both in-person and virtual rehearsals where students will be assigned a “pod.” This is a group of four or five students who will work together exclusively throughout the semester to prepare songs, scenes and dance numbers that will then be performed and video recorded to create an unforgettable experience for both the performers and patrons. Duet, trio and solo work will be assigned within each pod. Pods will be assigned based on age and ability and will not interact with any other pods. All in-person rehearsals will employ St. Louis County guidelines in terms of social distancing, face masks, temperature and health screenings, etc.
For those families who prefer an all-virtual experience with no in-person rehearsals that will be presented as a separate option during online registration. Make sure to select the all-virtual registration option. In this scenario, pods of all-virtual students will also be created to keep the groups small so all students receive one-on-one attention.
Price: $300 Public; $275 Member ($25 sibling discount)
September: 13, 20, 27
October: 4, 11, 18, 25
November: 1, 8, 15, 22
December 9, 10, 13
Additional Program Information
Auditions and Casting
Auditions will be done with one student at a time via zoom with the instructors. Students will be sent an audition packet that will include the vocal selection (and practice tracks via Google Drive), a scene to perform and a short dance (via video). The packet will also include audition tips and tricks. Registered students will receive these and your scheduled audition time one to two weeks prior to the audition date. After auditions, the groupings will be sent out via email prior to the first rehearsal. Each pod of students will have a specified name or number.
During the in-person rehearsal weeks, you will receive the call time for your pod on Monday. This will give you time to plan with your family. All times will be between 1:30-4pm. Times will average 1- 1.5 hours. If your student’s pod is not called for rehearsal that day, they may be sent material or videos for self-study at home. These can be done at your convenience, yet would need to be accomplished prior to the next rehearsal. Those that choose to do all-virtual program will receive videos and material for self-study more frequently.
On weeks of virtual rehearsals, all families will get a schedule along with login information on Monday. It will be easiest and best to send out one big list, so please be courteous of others and do not log into a different group’s lesson; you will not be admitted from the waiting room if you are not in that group. Staff will be available throughout the rehearsal day for any technical support or questions. After registration, all families will get a list of Zoom etiquette and guidelines. All Zoom rehearsals will be password and waiting room protected for student and staff safety. Some Zoom sessions may be recorded for students to continue to practice at home or for an absent student.
Drop Off/Pick Up for In-Person Rehearsals
Carpool will be done at the Arts and Education Entrance at the J. The students will then get their temperature checked outside and admitted into the building and appropriate room with their small group. Please have your student’s name in your window for pickup so we can do our best to keep our carpool line moving. Parents/caregivers can walk onto the sidewalk to drop off and or pick up their student, but if doing so, please keep the appropriate distance from others and wear a mask.
On our previously scheduled performance dates, each pod of students will have a specific time to come into the theatre and record their performances. This will then be edited to create a full-length production and “tickets” will be purchased to receive the link to view the performance. DVD/BluRay discs will also be available for purchase.
As we do not know what the situation will be like in December when our performances are scheduled, we have several plans for the students to perform. This ranges from a limited audience, live-stream show, recorded Zoom performances and/or recorded shows. We will keep you posted if any updates to the current plan for performances are made.
We are optimistic that this is the best thing for our current situation as we can easily accommodate all scenarios as the future is unknown.
Guidelines and Safety Procedures for In-Person Rehearsals
- All students and staff will wear a mask (protective facial covering) the entire rehearsal time
- All students will be temperature checked upon arrival to rehearsal. Any temperate above 100.5 will not be admitted into the building
- No parents/caregivers will be allowed to wait inside the building during rehearsal (unless you are a member of the J and are using the gym facilities (you will need to enter through the gym entrance after dropping off your student). If there are extenuating circumstances and a parent/caregiver needs to enter the building they will also be temperature checked and must wear a mask.
- Once students enter the building, they will need to sanitize their hands. Prior to exiting, students will also need to sanitize their hands. Sanitizer will be provided.
- Students will only be allowed to enter the building at specific rehearsal time (not prior) and will need to be picked up promptly at the end of their rehearsal time.
- Students will not be permitted to touch any ones else or their belongings. Students will be physically distanced by 6ft or more throughout the rehearsal time.
- No student or student with someone in their household that has any symptoms will be allowed into rehearsal (cough, fever, etc.).
- Any student who has traveled to any know hotspots will be not allowed into rehearsal at the J for 14 days after arriving back home
- Students will be only allowed to be in rehearsal with their pod group of five students and the instructor. There will be no contact in our building with students outside of their pod.
- Students will only be allowed to bring a water bottle and script/pencil with them into the building. No bags, toys or other items will be brought in. Please have your student wear comfortable shoes (sneakers, tennis shoes, etc.) they can dance in to each rehearsal.
Thank you for your cooperation in following these guidelines and safety procedures. It is our first priority to keep the students and staff safe. If at any time we need to make changes to these procedures you will be notified immediately via the email you have on file. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com.
Private vocal lessons with Michelle Fritz online!
Enhance your vocal abilities, work on your range and find great audition songs that match your style and ability. All in a one-on-one, virtual setting.
About your instructor:
Ages 3rd grade and up! Mrs. Perkowitz-Fritz is a local vocal and piano teacher, who has loved working as the J’s Youth Theatre musical director. She received a degree in Music Performance with a major concentration in voice and a minor in piano. She has been teaching private voice lessons for several years.
By appointment; via Zoom (classes are 30 minutes)
6 Lessons: $210
Single Lesson: $40
For more information, contact Amber Franek, 314.442.3239.
- Toured nationally as principal dancer with Advocate Arts Contemporary Dance and Fuerta Dance
- Director of Applause Performing Arts Camp in Duluth, Georgia
- Instructor at Fabrefaction Theater Conservatory in Atlanta, Georgia
- Choreographer for Live Arts Theatre’s production of “Cabaret” and” Zephyr Planet”
- Instructor of dance at Atlanta JCC
What makes the J Youth Theatre Program so unique?
- Everyone who auditions is cast in every show
- We welcome first-time actors, as well as those who are more experienced
- Rehearsals are concentrated on Sunday afternoons until right before the production
- You become part of the Youth Theatre family, creating bonds, collaborating with friends and sharing your progress and successes as performers
For more information about Youth Theatre, please contact Youth Theatre Director, Amber Franek, 314.442.3239.
Youth Theatre Sponsors
The Kessler Family
The Siwak Family
The Wolman Family
The Kuhn Foundation
The Rosenzweig Family
Peter Pan Jr. – Spring 2018
Lion King Jr. – Spring 2017