Places everyone! The Youth Theatre Program is an all-inclusive educational theatre program for grades K-9. In addition to learning about theatre, we strive to help students build confidence, improve communication and increase skills. Theatre is an experience your child will never forget; it’s a unique group effort that requires everyone’s participation to bring a show to life. We invite you to take the stage with the J Youth Theatre Program!
Registration is now full! Please join our wait list by contacting Amber Franek, 314-442-3239.
Transporting audiences from the Jungle of Nool to the Circus McGurkus, the Cat in the Hat narrates the story of Horton the Elephant, who discovers a speck of dust containing tiny people called the Whos. Horton must protect the Whos from a world of naysayers and dangers, and he must also guard an abandoned egg that’s been left in his care by the irresponsible Mayzie La Bird. Although Horton faces ridicule, danger and a trial, the intrepid Gertrude McFuzz never loses faith in him. Ultimately, the powers of friendship, loyalty, family and community are challenged and emerge triumphant!
Staenberg Family Complex/Creve Coeur
August 25, 1-4pm (time determined by age)
Sundays, September 8 – November 24, 1:30-4pm
Tech Rehearsals: Sunday-Tuesday, December 8-10
Staenberg Family Complex/Creve Coeur
Wednesday, December 11, 7pm
Thursday, December 12, 7pm
Sunday, December 15, 11am & 3pm
$265 for members/$295 for general public
$25 off each additional child
Workshops are designed to help children learn techniques to replace nerves and offer first-timers a sense of confidence. The participants learn part of a song and choreography for the exciting production of Seussical Jr The workshop also includes improvisation and games.
K-3rd Grades: Sunday, August 18, 1-2:30pm
4th Grade & Up: Sunday, August 18, 2:30-4pm
$30 members, $40 public
Receive $10 off registration for spring production when you register for the audition workshop
Students in 2nd through 12th grades
Select Sundays, 4-5:30pm
- Broadway Dance with Laura Weis (September 8)
- Local Dance instructor and choreographer. Bachelor of Fine Art in Musical Theatre
Stage Combat with Michael Pierce (September 22)
- Actor Combatant with the Society of American Fight Directors, and professional actor and teaching artist in St. Louis
- Costume Design with Lauren Smith (October 13)
- Professional Costume Designer and Constructor.
- Puppetry Art with Jeanie Bryan (November 3)
- Puppeteer known for unforgettable characters and many styles of puppet-making and performing
Cost: $30 members, $40 general public for each workshop
*Bundle Price for all four workshops: $120 Member/$140 Public
Only 15 spots available per workshops so reserve your spot now!
Private vocal lessons with Michelle Perkowitz-Fritz
Enhance your vocal abilities in this one-on-one setting.
About your instructor:
Ages 3rd grade and up! Mrs. Perkowitz-Fritz is a local vocal and piano teacher, who has loved working as the J’s Youth Theatre musical director. She received a degree in Music Performance with a major concentration in voice and a minor in piano. She has been teaching private voice lessons for several years.
By appointment (classes are 30 minutes)
6-week Session $250 members/$270 public
8-week Session $340 members/$360 public
Single Sessions $45 members/$55 public (Bundle in 6-8 week sessions and save)
- Toured nationally as principal dancer with Advocate Arts Contemporary Dance and Fuerta Dance
- Director of Applause Performing Arts Camp in Duluth, Georgia
- Instructor at Fabrefaction Theater Conservatory in Atlanta, Georgia
- Choreographer for Live Arts Theatre’s production of “Cabaret” and” Zephyr Planet”
- Instructor of dance at Atlanta JCC
What makes the J Youth Theatre Program so unique?
- Everyone who auditions is cast in every show
- We welcome first-time actors, as well as those who are more experienced
- Rehearsals are concentrated on Sunday afternoons until right before the production
- You become part of the Youth Theatre family, creating bonds, collaborating with friends and sharing your progress and successes as performers
For more information about Youth Theatre, please contact Youth Theatre Director, Amber Franek, 314.442.3239.
Youth Theatre Sponsors
The Kessler Family
The Siwak Family
The Wolman Family
The Kuhn Foundation
The Rosenzweig Family
Peter Pan Jr. – Spring 2018
Lion King Jr. – Spring 2017