New Jewish Theatre Auditions 2017 – 2018
May 20, 12-4pm
May 21, 4-7pm
Auditions will be held May 20, from noon – 4 PM & May 21 from 4 – 7 PM. Auditions will take place at the JCC, 2 Millstone Campus Dr, 63146.
The New Jewish Theatre announces auditions for Equity and non-Equity roles for the following productions:
- NEW JERUSALEM, The Interrogation of Baruch de Spinoza at Torah Talmud Congregation: Amsterdam, July 27, 1656: by David Ives: The true story of Jewish philosopher Baruch de Spinoza who was excommunicated from the Jewish community of Amsterdam in the 1600’s in order to keep the peace for that city’s Jews. Amsterdam’s Sephardic Jews had made a fatal arrangement with the city: They agreed to police their own community for unorthodox beliefs. When the city accuses Spinoza of atheism, Chief Rabbi Mortera must summon Spinoza to the synagogue to defend himself – a historical event that shook up not only the entire Jewish community of Amsterdam, but changed Spinoza’s and Mortera’s lives—and all of Western thought—irrevocably. An engrossing historical drama.
- 1st rehearsal March 12, April 5 – 22, Tim Ocel directs
- LIFE SUCKS by Aaron Poser: An irreverent adaptation of Anton Chekhov’sUncle Vanya, Posner’s contemporary riff on the work is altogether wise, profoundly humane, hilarious, quirky, endearing and, in countless clever ways, brilliantly faithful to its source. Posner brings a playful, far from cynical, originality to the story of a group of yearning, frustrated, heartbroken, questioning, and in many ways privileged souls who are, in their varied and deeply flawed ways, trying to cope with all the essential conundrums of existence. It is essentially a play about love, loss and longing – with a healthy dose of Jewish philosophizing thrown in. Never has unhappiness been so much fun.
- 1st rehearsal April 30, May 24 – June 10, Edward Coffield directs
Diverse casting possible. All roles are paid
NEW JERUSALEM by David Ives:
- Abraham Van Valkenburgh, a regent of Amsterdam, 45
- Saul Levi Mortera, chief rabbi of Amsterdam, 60+
- Gaspar Rodrigues Ben Israel, a parnas of Talmud Torah, perhaps 50
- Baruch De Spinoza, a merchant of Amsterdam, 23
- Simon De Vries, a painter, 23
- Clara Van Den Enden, a music teacher, 20
- Rebekah De Spinoza, Baruch’s half sitster, 26
LIFE SUCKS by Aaron Posner:
- Vanya – 45, A ruminator, a kvetch, a smart, sweet, passionate, insightful, wound-tight failure
- Sonia – 24, Kind, caring, quirky. serious self-esteem issues. Not comfortable in her body
- Ella – 36, Searching, frustrated, hopeful, sad. Very attractive, rampantly desireable
- Babs – 64, vibrant, artistic, outspoken, enlightened. a great soul and scrappy wit
- The Professor – 62, Big mind, big ego, big vocabulary, small-ish soul. Selfish. Well meaning
- Aster – 52, Broken, beautiful, dissatisfied, savvy and sad. He cares deeply and oddly
- Pickles – 40-ish, An odd, sweet, loyal duck. Very litereal. A relentlessly positive utopian lesbian
- For the audition, please prepare two contemporary contrasting monologues not to exceed 3 minutes total
- Please bring picture and resume for each production for which you are auditioning plus one additional for the theatre (Please be sure the headshot and resume are stapled together, and that the resume includes up to date contact information)
- Please arrive prior to your appointment time; we may see you early if we are running ahead of schedule.
To make an appointment, call 314-442-3283
Casting authority NJT Artistic Director Kathleen Sitzer, NJT Artistic Associates Edward Coffield & Bobby Miller, Directors Tim Ocel & Edward Coffield